Wednesday, October 9, 2013

What are Essential Oils Anyway?!?



My first experience with essential oils was very vague.  I was given Tea Tree oil by my roommate as she told me to try it for something.  The bottle sat in my medicine cabinet untouched until I moved then it went into the trash. I had no idea what is or what it was for other than knowing the name Tea Tree.  I didn't bother with it until my natural loving mother introduced me to the wonderful OnGuard from doTERRA.  The difference this time was I was taught what they were and HOW to use them.

 
Essential oils are according to Wikipedia is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oil,

"An essential oil is a concentrated hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants. Essential oils are also known as volatile oils, ethereal oils, or aetherolea, or simply as the "oil of" the plant from which they were extracted, such as oil of clove. An oil is "essential" in the sense that it carries a distinctive scent, or essence, of the plant. Essential oils do not form a distinctive category for any medical, pharmacological, or culinary purpose."

I learned about essential oils with my cooking as well as research.  When you peel an orange, you'll notice a light mist when you break the skin. This is the essential oils releasing from the orange that tantalizes your nose with the sweet citrus smell.  These essential oils to the plant are their life blood. They help repair the skin of the orange if it were to become damaged while still growing.  We humans found a way to extract that and utilize the essential oil to our benefit.  There are so many plants we can use to help our ailments it's wondrous. We are able to use barks, flowers, leaves, and many more parts of plants to help our journey to be healthier and happier humans.

Essential oils have been used throughout history for their healing properties. The Egyptians were some of the first people to use aromatic essential oils extensively in medical practice, beauty treatment, food preparation, and religious ceremony. Frankincense, sandalwood, myrrh, and cinnamon were considered very valuable cargo along caravan trade routes and were sometimes exchanged for gold.  The Greeks, French and many other countries have historically turned to essential oils for many uses.  Now it’s our turn to learn as much as possible and utilize them as well.

I cannot imagine how my health would be suffering if I continued down the unnatural and chemical filled path I was on once upon a time.  I am so grateful I have learned there are other options out there!  I hope you are researching and learning as well.  I’d love to be a part of your journey to natural. 

No comments:

Post a Comment